Sunday, June 04, 2006

Discouraged....

I haven't been sewing a whole lot. I got the 3 quilts back from the longarm quilter, and one of them was quilted off center. The backing now does not cover the front. This has happened once before, so I was very careful to square things up, no uneven edges, certainly big enough. Well. Didn't matter. I am trying to add fabric to the back now so it's big enough to finish up. I realize this isn't the end of the world, and probably will not even be noticed, but I know. And it shouldn't have happened.

I have no idea where another quilter is around here. I have held back several quilts because I didn't think they could do what I wanted, and now I am sure they can't. And I don't like the idea of mailing tops away. Dilemma.

2 comments:

floribunda said...

wow -- that IS discouraging! you'd think the quilter would have double-checked that she had the back covering the whole top! are you going to point it out to her so she might not make the same mistake again?

I bet if you posted a note on cyberquilters or stashbusters, someone could give you hints about other long-armers in your area.

Julie

Granny said...

Onnie, as a longarm quilter myself, there is absolutely no reason for that to happen. The top should be measured and the back should be measured before any quilting begins and the longarmer should know well ahead of time if there is going to be a problem . . in which case she should get with you and figure out what you want to do but there's no excuse for running out of backing fabric. Sorry!!

I would definitely look for another longarmer and if there's not one you are confident using in your area, there are plenty who will accept quilts through the mail. I've done it for years and have never had a problem. I would be more than happy to give you a few names if you would like.

Judy L.